18 September 2006

Steve Irwin: We will remember you!

I suppose I should offer my own sentiments concerning the recent death of Crocodile Hunter and Australian wildlife expert Steve Irwin by a stingray. First of all, I think it's important to mention my surprise at the manner of his death. With all the things he's faced - scorpions, crocodiles, poisonous snakes, and much more - the fact that he died because of a stingray (while plausible) is certainly an unwelcome surprise. I think this has really jarred some people that had begun to believe Steve Irwin was immortal.

Steve Irwin started his show when there were just three nature shows on T.V., or so I've been told. It seems that he really changed the face of T.V. Whereas no one really watched much in the way of nature shows before, Steve Irwin got the ball rolling with his crusade for conservation of animals and nature as a whole, as well as with his smooth-talking first-hand knowledge of the Australian outback. It has been a couple of decades since he started his show, and I (for one) am deeply sorry that he is gone. While I did not know him personally, I feel that T.V. (as well as the rest of the world) has lost a great asset and a valued life.

So, I offer my deepest condolences to Mr. Irwin's wife, any children he might have had (I believe he had at least one, though I'm not positive), his family, and his friends. I hope someone who did know Steve Irwin personally sees this, for I am one of the many fans who would have loved to meet him. To Steve Irwin: I only hope that you're now in a better place.

1 Comments:

Blogger Crow said...

LOL No problem, Evanesce. :) I will admit that I wasn't as avid a fan of Steve Irwin as many people were, but I was a fan. Plus, his drive for conservation is something I completely agree with. I was a member of something called Earth Force when I was a kid; I lost the change of address form when I moved years ago, but I enjoyed reading about different things. Anyway, Steve Irwin was pretty cool, I think, and he will be missed.

25/9/06 19:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home